GEMMS: Gateway to Early Modern Manuscript Sermons
NameGeorge Hughes
Livedb. ca. 1603-03-25 - d. 1667-07-03 (old)
Linked Manuscripts
Linked SermonsThe First Estate of A Christian here in the flesh -- preacher (autograph: uncertain)The Second Estate of A Christian -- preacher (autograph: uncertain)The Third Estate of a Christian -- preacher (autograph: uncertain)
Linked Reports
Associated PlacesPlymouth -- ParishTavistock -- ParishCorpus Christi College -- Place of StudyPembroke College -- Place of StudyAll Hallows Breadstreet -- PostWarwick -- PostDrake's Island (St Nicholas Island) -- Prison
Source of DataJeanne Shami; Hannah Wood
Biographical Sources ConsultedODNB (Article: 14069); Calamy Revised, pp. 281-282; AO (Foster)
Other NoteGeorge Hughes of Southwark matriculated from Corpus Christi College, Oxford in 1620, graduating B.A. in 1623. He became a fellow of Pembroke College and proceeded M.A. in 1625. He served as curate near Oxford before becoming lecturer at All Hallows, Bread Street, London in 1628. He proceeded B.D.; however, he was suspended by Archbishop Laud in 1636 on charges of stealing his neighbour’s flock, refusing to use the sign of cross in baptism, and refusing to bow to the altar. He was made chaplain at Warwick Castle soon after, during which time he married his first wife, whose family name was Packstone. He was made vicar of Tavistock in 1638, simultaneously serving as chaplain to the earl of Bedford. Hughes was among the puritans who preached in Exeter while the city was held by parliamentarians; he left with the defeated forces in 1643 and was elected vicar of Plymouth later that year. In addition to the publication of extracts from his sermons under the title “A Dry Rod Blooming” (1644), Hughes organized and wrote “The Joint Testimonie of the Ministers of Devon” (1648). He was instrumental in organizing the Exeter assembly of ministers in 1655. Upon the Restoration Hughes retained his living at Plymouth; however, he was ejected in 1662 when he failed to give assent to the Book of Common Prayer. He was arrested in 1665 and imprisoned on St Nicholas Island (Drake’s Island) for nine months; he was forbidden from living within 20 miles of Plymouth upon his release. Hughes died in Kingsbridge on 3 July 1667, predeceased by his first wife and second wife, Rebecca Baxter (d.1661), and survived by his children from his first marriage, Obadiah (d.1704) and two daughters.
Attached URLs:
URLNotes Oxonienses
GEMMS record createdApril 21, 2016
GEMMS record last editedAugust 26, 2021